1. Choose the Right Sunscreen: Choosing a sunscreen is one of the most important steps in protecting your scalp from sunburn. When selecting a sunscreen, the first thing to consider is SPF (sun protection factor), which tells you how much protection it gives you from UVB rays. You should also consider ingredients. Look for sunscreens that include both UVA and UVB protection, such as zinc oxide, and that are free of fragrances and other harsh chemicals. Additionally, you should look for a sunscreen that is water-resistant and will stay on your scalp for the duration of your outdoor activities.
2. Apply Sunscreen Properly: It’s not enough to simply buy the right sunscreen; you have to properly apply it to make sure you’re completely protected. Make sure to apply a generous amount of sunscreen to your scalp and press lightly to ensure it is evenly spread. Reapply sunscreen every two hours, or even more frequently if you are swimming or sweating, to ensure maximum protection.
3. Use Hair Care Products With Sunscreen: If you’re not keen on applying sunscreen directly onto your scalp, you can use hair care products that have sunscreen in them. From gels and creams to sprays, you may want to consider using a product that contains SPF to make sure your scalp is equipped with as much protection as possible.
4. Wear a Hat: If you’re spending a lot of time out in the sun, it’s important to wear a hat. A wide brimmed sun hat or hat that covers the back and sides of your head can provide additional protection to your scalp, and most importantly, prevent your face and eyes from direct exposure to the sun.
5. Take Breaks: As tempting as it may be to stay out in the sun for a long period of time, making sure to take regular breaks to avoid overexposure is essential. Taking a break every hour or so will reduce your risk of skin damage, allowing your scalp to cool and recuperate from exposure to the sun.
No matter how much fun you’re having soaking up the sun, protecting your scalp and hair should be top of mind. Using the right sunscreen, applying it correctly, using additional hair care products with SPF, wearing a hat and taking regular breaks are all essential for enjoying the sun without taking unnecessary health risks. Stay protected while looking stylish with the right sunscreen for your scalp and hair.