To help you make the best decision, here are the top five things to consider when choosing a UV protectant hair spray.
1. Ingredients: What type of ingredients should you look for when it comes to a hair and scalp sunscreen? It is best to stick to formulas that contain safe and effective UV actives such as homosalate, octocrylene, octisalate, avobenzone, and niacinamide. Also, ingredients that strengthen hair strands greatly like collagen and silk amino acids, as well as those that are rich in antioxidants like green tea extract, coffee extract, licorice root extract, microalgae extract, and safflower seed oil are important to consider.
2. Type of Protectant: When it comes to hair care, there are generally two types of protectants. One is a leave-in protectant, which provides SPF protection and nourishes the scalp while giving you style and lift. The other is a rinse-out protectant, which not only offers superior protection from the sun but also nourishes and hydrates the scalp. Choose the one that best suits your needs.
3. SPF Rating: Sunscreen with higher SPF (sun protection factor) is best for scalp and hair protection, as it will provide better protection against UV rays for a longer duration of time. Look for products that offer an SPF of 40 or higher.
4. Fragrance: Sunscreen on the scalp and hair can be a bit smelly, so it’s important to find a product with a pleasant scent. A hint of floral, herbal, or citrus can help mask any offensive odors or provide a subtle freshness that is pleasing.
5. Application: Applying UV protectant spray to your hair and scalp should be a breeze. Look for a spray bottle with a fine, even misting system that makes application easy and accurate. In addition, find a product that dries quickly, so you can move on with your day.
No matter your hair care needs, there is a UV protectant spray that is just right for you. Keep these five points in mind when shopping for the perfect hair and scalp sunscreen to stay protected while looking stylish.