When it comes to protective care, we all want the benefits of both safety and style, and achieving this can be easy with the right products, purpose, and education. Here are the top five things to consider when applying sunscreen to your scalp to ensure optimal safety and style.
1. Sun Protection Factor (SPF): Choosing the right sunscreen with the adequate SPF will provide the necessary protection from UVA and UVB radiation. For maximal protection for your scalp, choose a sunscreen with an SPF of 40 or higher. Sunscreen plays an important role in protecting our skin against damage and skin cancer and its application to the scalp should never be overlooked.
2. Hair Health: When applying sunscreen to your scalp, you want to make sure that the product you choose won’t damage your hair in the process. Since some sunscreens contain ingredients that can dry out or disrupt the texture of hair, look for a product with nourishing and hydrating elements such as collagen and amino acids naturally found in the hair that help to strengthen the strands and combat dryness.
3. Hair Style: Alongside protection, you want to look your best. Some sunscreens can also provide the benefit of added volume. When choosing a sunscreen with styling compounds, such as light-weight silicones and oils, it can help to create a ray of additional lift and style with every application.
4. Application Process: It is important to note that the scalp, unlike the rest of the body, is an oilier area of the skin that can affect the way the sunscreen is absorbed. When applying, you should massage the product into the scalp so that it is worked in thoroughly. This will ensure that the sunscreen is distributed evenly and that your scalp is protected altogether.
5. Frequency: Although sunscreen should be applied every four (4) hours, frequent applications to your scalp could result in noticeable buildup and residue. As a result, use product sparingly so that your scalp isn’t too oily or weighed down. The key is to find the right balance between protection and style in order to keep your scalp and hair healthy and looking great.
Applying sunscreen to your scalp is an important step you should consider in protecting yourself from harmful sun exposure. With proper education and product selection, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to enjoy the benefits of both safety and style.