For those living in Texas — or anywhere else where the sun is relentless — it pays to be extra mindful when it comes to hair spray UV protection, as the sun is one of the leading causes of scalp and hair damage. From hair thinning to scalp irritation and sunburns, the sun's rays can wreak havoc on not only the look of your hair but also its health.
The good news is that by taking a few simple steps, you can protect your hair and scalp from the sun's rays and ensure that your hair looks and feels its best. Here are the top 5 things to consider when it comes to hair spray UV protection in Texas:
1. Always Look for Sunscreen With Broad Spectrum Protection: When shopping for hair spray with UV protection, always look for one that offers broad-spectrum protection. This means it will protect your hair from both UVA (the sun's harmful sunburn rays) and UVB (the sun's aging rays) radiation. Look for products that include active ingredients such as homosalate, octocrylene, octisalate, and avobenzone.
2. Choose a Hair Spray With SPF 40: Hair needs at least SPF 40 protection to ensure full coverage. Even if your scalp is fully covered by a hat or scarf, your hair can still be exposed to UV radiation, so it's important to select a hair spray with the right level of protection.
3. Consider How the Product Will Affect Your Hair: In addition to providing UV protection, it's important that your hair spray of choice also nourishes and strengthens your strands. Look for hair sprays that are enriched with antioxidants, amino acids, and other nutrients so that your hair is fully nourished and protected.
4. Hypoallergenic Sunscreens Are Ideal: If you have sensitive skin or hair, look for hypoallergenic sunscreen specifically formulated for scalp and hair. These products use natural ingredients that are gentle on the scalp and hair so you can rest assured that your skin and hair will be well-protected while also being hydrated and nourished.
5. Reapply Regularly: No matter how diligent you are about applying sunscreen, your protection won't last forever. It's important to reapply your sunscreen every 2-3 hours to maintain the protection your scalp and hair need, especially in direct sunlight.
By following the tips above, you can ensure that your hair and scalp will be protected from the sun's harmful UV rays while living in the Texas heat. A good hair spray with SPF will keep your hair nourished, hydrated, and looking its best all summer long.