Fortunately, we’ve compiled the top 5 essentials you should consider from the start when you begin to develop a sun-protective routine for your hair and scalp. These are important topics to think about if you want to avoid thinning hair, sunburn, skin cancer, and other damage that can come along with too much sun exposure. So read on to learn more about the 5 essentials of sun protection for your hair and scalp.
1. Sunscreen: The number one essential when it comes to sun protection for your hair and scalp is sunscreen. Make sure to look for a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Also, look for an SPF of 30 or higher, and be sure to apply it liberally all over your scalp and hair. Reapply every two hours or after swimming and sweating to ensure you're staying protected.
2. Cover Up: The second essential to consider is wearing clothing that covers up your head and scalp. Wearing a wide brimmed hat can help minimize the amount of direct sunlight that hits your hair and scalp. Additionally, you can use a scarf, bandana, or any other item to protect the top of your head as well.
3. Avoid Damaging Heat: Third, you'll want to avoid using too much heat when styling your hair. Whether that be from using hot styling tools, curling irons, or blow-dryers, extensive heat exposure can weaken the hair and scalp. If you do decide to use heat to style your hair, make sure to use a heat protectant spray and keep the temperature at a manageable level so that you won't damage your locks.
4. Lock in Moisture: The fourth essential is to keep your hair and scalp moisturized. Using hydrating styling products and conditioners is key for protecting your hair and scalp from the sun's rays. Also consider keeping a leave-in conditioner in your bag and applying it when needed to keep your hair looking and feeling its best.
5. Get Regular Haircuts: Last but certainly not least, make sure to get regular haircuts to keep your hair healthy and strong. Splitting and breaking hair can significantly decrease the health of your scalp over time. Additionally, your stylist may have some tips and tricks to help make sure your hair is sun-safe.
Achieving healthy, sun-safe hair and scalp requires consistent maintenance and protection. Ensuring you have the necessary knowledge and products to protect your hair from the sun is key for maintaining healthy locks over time. By incorporating the 5 essentials mentioned above into your sun-care routine, you can be sure that your hair and scalp are staying safe and healthy throughout the summer months in Texas, and beyond.