1. Choose a High SPF: When it comes to UV protection, SPF (sun protection factor) is king. Make sure to look for a product with at least an SPF of 40 or higher to provide maximum coverage. The higher the number, the more protection you're getting against harmful UV rays.
2. Find Natural Sunscreen: Many of the common chemical active ingredients found in sunscreens can cause skin irritation or even worse, long-term health issues. If you're looking for a natural sunscreen alternative, consider trying products that are made with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide as their active ingredients. These two minerals are naturally occurring and are incredibly effective at providing UV protection.
3. Look for Added Antioxidants & Nutrients: When it comes to scalp sun protection, you may also want to look for products that are enriched with antioxidants, amino acids, and nutrients. These will help nourish your hair from root to tip and keep it looking shiny and healthy.
4. Consider Technology for Volume & Style: Many scalp and hair sunscreen products also come with special technology that can provide additional lift and volume to your hair. If you're looking for a more stylish look, consider trying a product that has this added technology for a bigger, bouncier result.
5. Analyze the Ingredients: Lastly, but certainly not least, pay close attention to the ingredient list on any pick you make. Make sure to check for items such as niacinamide, green tea extract, coffee extract, licorice root extract, microalgae extract, and safflower seed oil. These all have great health benefits and help protect your scalp and hair from the sun.
By taking a few moments to research your options, you should be able to find a sunscreen that not only protects your scalp and hair from sun damage, but also nourishes and styles them in the process.