1. Sun Protection Factor (SPF): Sun protection factor (SPF) is one of the most important indicators when choosing a sunscreen product. SPF measures the amount of protection a product offers against UVA and UVB rays, the two primary types of Ultraviolet radiation from the sun. Look for an SPF rating of 40 or higher for the best possible protection, though 30 would be the bare minimum.
2. Broad-spectrum Coverage: In addition to looking for a higher SPF, you should also look for products that offer ‘broad-spectrum’ coverage. Broad-spectrum covers both UVA and UVB radiation, and is the gold standard when it comes to sun-protection.
3. Enriched with Antioxidants: Sunscreen products designed specifically for the scalp and hair should be enriched with antioxidants, amino acids and other nutrients to nourish and protect strands from root to tip. Consider products that contain green tea extract, coffee extract and licorice root extract to strengthen hair.
4. Proprietary Technology: In addition to nourishing, strengthening, and protecting the scalp and hair, many sunscreen products offer lift and volume. Look for products that have a proprietary technology delivering a bouncy, voluminous result. It’s especially helpful if the product contains collagen and silk amino acids, as well as safflower seed oil and green tea oil.
5. UV Actives: Finally, look for sunscreen products that contain safe and effective UV actives, such as Homosalate, Octocrylene, Octisalate, and Avobenzone. UV actives are the filters used to block UVA and UVB radiation, which can cause premature aging and cell damage.
We understand that navigating the sunscreen market can be overwhelming. That’s why we created Zenon Life, a world-renowned dermatologist and healer-inspired anti-cancer beauty brand for all. Our SPF 40 Scalp & Hair Sunscreen product is specifically formulated to protect & prevent sunburn and skin cancer, nourish & strengthen, lift & style, and offer safe and effective UV actives. We hope this article has armed you with the knowledge you need to make an informed and educated decision about the best SPF protection for your scalp and hair.