1. SPF Levels: When it comes to sun protection, the SPF level is key. Sunburns are not only painful, they can also increase your chances of developing skin cancer. Choosing a sunscreen with SPF 40 or higher will ensure you get the best protection against the sun’s rays.
2. UV Protection: To maximise protection, your sunscreen should block both UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays are the ones that cause premature skin aging and wrinkles, while UVB rays cause sunburn. Look for a broad spectrum sunscreen that protects against both types of rays.
3. Antioxidants: Sun exposure also causes free radical damage to the scalp, which can weaken the hair follicles and contribute to breakage and thinning hair. To protect against free radical damage, select a sunscreen that is enriched with antioxidants, amino acids, and other nutrients that will nourish and strengthen hair strands.
4. Volume and Style: Ever wish you could give your hair a little boost without having to resort to styling products or hot tools? Look for a sunscreen that has been designed specifically for scalp and hair and contains added ingredients such as collagen and silk amino acids for extra lift and volume.
5. Safe and Effective: Last but certainly not least, always make sure that your sunscreen is safe and effective. Look for products that contain safe UV protectants such as homosalate, octocrylene, octisalate, and avobenzone. Also, make sure the sunscreen comes from a trusted and reputable brand so you know you’re using a quality product.
When it comes to protecting your scalp from sun damage, knowing the basics on what to look for can help you pick the right sunscreen. By following the five tips discussed above, you can choose a sunscreen that will keep your scalp healthy in the long run.