When shopping for scalp & hair sunscreen, what should you look out for? Read on to learn about the key elements to consider when evaluating these products and make sure you find something that’s perfect for you.
Things to Consider When Evaluating Scalp & Hair Sunscreen
1. Protection and Prevention: The primary purpose of scalp & hair sunscreen is to protect the scalp from sun damage and burns. While SPF levels vary from product to product, look for sunscreens with an SPF of 40 or more for comprehensive protection against UVA and UVB rays.
2. Nourishment and Strength: In order to maintain a healthy head of hair, you need to nourish your scalp, too. The best scalp & hair sunscreens are formulated with a blend of nutrients that not only protect the scalp but also strengthen and nourish the hair. Look for products that contain vitamins, amino acids, and antioxidants to help condition and fortify hair.
3. Lift and Style: If you’re looking for extra volume and texture for your mane, there are a number of products that offer that extra bit of lift. Look for a sunscreen that boasts its own proprietary blend of proteins and silk amino acids which can help you achieve that look.
4. Natural Ingredients: Caring for your scalp doesn’t mean you have to expose it to harsh, irritating chemicals. Look for products with natural ingredients like green tea extract, niacinamide, and coffee extract that are gentle on the scalp while still effectively protecting it.
5. UV Filters: To protect against UVA and UVB rays, choose a sunscreen with a combination of safe, effective UV filters like homosalate, octocrylene, octisalate, and avobenzone.